From the day of its dedication, Nov. 2, 1957, until it was torn down, in 1995, the Hardwick Union Building served an ever-changing Whitworth student body. The first structure on campus dedicated solely to providing for students’ social and recreational needs, it was a fitting tribute to Dean Francis T. Hardwick, a man who dedicated his life to students. Students led the fund-raising charge for the project, working for more than eight years to save money for the building’s construction. The structure, which housed a snack bar, bookstore, post office, and offices for student government and a variety of other campus organizations, was a Whitworth fixture for nearly 40 years. Today, the Hixson Union Building, dedicated in two phases (1995 and 1998), features a taste of the old building and a memorial to Hardwick. (The HUB was expanded most recently in 2012 to extend the dining hall toward the east end of campus.) Four original sandstone carvings from the old HUB’s entrance now grace the four sides of the “new” HUB’s central staircase. In addition, the offices of the Associated Students of Whitworth University, located on the second floor, are known officially as the Hardwick Center for Student Government, and a photo of Hardwick is displayed so that future generations of Whitworth students will know the legacy of Whitworth’s own Renaissance Man.
The new HUB encompasses the bookstore, post office, and offices for student government and campus organizations, as well as the dining hall, Mind & Hearth Coffee House, a café and grill, a game room, student newspaper and yearbook offices, the Whitworth FM online radio station, a learning resource center, meeting rooms, and offices for student employment, educational-support services, career services, residence life, and student life.